Update from The Map Room.
I've spent the last week or so working away on the first batch of songs we'll record in the coming days. I'm thrilled to be getting back into the studio and to be finally feeling in touch with my creativity again. It's been a long dry spell for my song writing...months and months of wrestling with lyrics and melodies, song fragments and musical approaches trying to zero in on the sound I've been hearing in my head for the last couple years. So on the 21st I'll get started tracking. There's a lot of tension in the lyrics and not a lot of answers really...so I'm looking for beauty in the music. I look for redemption in everything these days. I think we'll find it but I'm not sure...this is new territory for me (because I'm mostly producing it myself at this point) and I'm excited but a little intimidated...but mostly I'm excited.
Honestly, I'm just hoping that these songs are great and that people resonate with them and that the sound I keep hearing will be fully realized all throughout the album because I think it could be really beautiful and compelling. I sure hope so.
I've been keeping a journal that I try to write in every morning before I get going on my songs. It's been cathartic to take the garbage out before the day begins. It really clears your mind and allows you to focus on just being creative and expressive. Sometimes the "censor" has to be disarmed....I mean...hey...you can't edit something that's not there...so the ideas and rough lyrics/chords/melodies/parts/dreams/pictures all have to come out first and then you can work them into polished little creatures. I do know that I'm feeling good these days and I'm thankful to be here.
I've made a number of albums now and the process is always a mystery to me and seemingly different every time. Except for fear and insecurity. That seems to plague all of us I guess.
It's another day, it's another mile...


<< Home