My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashvegas, United States

musician, singer & songwriter/recording artist (independent)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

California, new luggage, Patagonia, Valentines Day and The Man.


All my bags are packed-- I'm ready to go...I'm standing here outside yo doe...

John Denver, may he rest in peace. What a great songwriter...

Hi there...just checking in. Coming up for air...

These last few days have all melted into one big giant to-do list here in my little universe. Things are busy busy as I'm gearing up to go back out on the road. I bought some new guitar cables, a few packs of 9 volt batteries and changed the strings on my Hummingbird.

I even got some new luggage...we had to retire the trusty old Samsonite suitcases that I've traveled with for my entire career. Man do those things last...thanks to my Mom and Dad who bought me that old luggage set for my 12th grade trip to Australia. Those bags have been everywhere...and now they rest in the basement. It's time for the young blood to take over...

Can you tell I'm a little obsessed with luggage? I have a problem and I freely admit it. I love bags. Is that weird? It's hard not to get attached to luggage when you travel as much as I do. Victorinox, Samsonite, Delsey, InCase and JanSport....I love it all. Life is short...and I have a bag for everything. In fact, the first time I met my wife for coffee (before we were dating) I happened to be flipping through the latest Patagonia catalog. Patagonia! The best gear in the world. I better stop with the bags. But I do have a sweet Patagonia pack.

So like I was saying earlier...I'm headed out to California for a run of shows with my friends Dave and JJ Heller. It's always fun to travel with friends and I can't wait to get out there and play some music. I've been writing and producing here in Nashville except for one show last month with Keaggy in Tampa. Good times people...good times. Lance Brewer's album is off to mixing tonight and songwriting for my new record continues to go well. Progress.

In other news...

Today is Valentines Day and I am proud to report that I DID NOT screw it up this year like I usually do. In years past I have severely underestimated the importance of Valentines Day and opted for last minute solutions to digging myself out of the "I screwed up Valentines Day and didn't really plan anything romantic to do with you" thing.

This year I bought a card (the day before) and ordered flowers delivered (tulips) via UPS from an online flower service.

Foolproof. It's good! He shoots, he ....um...anyways...

Smiles and hugs abounded as my sweet wife opened the card I got her and read the sweet and loving thoughts I inscribed to her. Oh, and I also bought her some chocolate. Chocolate is always a good call.

In addition to cards, tulips and chocolate...we went out for a nice dinner at The Tin Angel. She had salmon and I had the halibut. It went well with the Pinot.

On the way home from dinner we stopped by Blockbuster and rented "Harold and Maude"....and in keeping with the essence of my manhood I cried at the end. It's an odd and touching movie that sneaks up on you..especially the ending.

And now I am off to bed. But before I go I want to say that Valentines Day was invented by greeting card companies who wanted to make more money for The Man. We sure had a good time today though.