If you're captain of a shipwreck, i'll be first mate to your shame.

I've been listening to some of Jackson Browne's new record. I downloaded a few tracks from itunes and it was well worth it. "Barricades of Heaven" and "These Days". Great voice . Superbly crafted songs. Check it out.
Today has been sort of a blur. We've been reaching for some sense of normalcy (whatever that means) since we got back from Houston. Some days it seems like we're settling back in and then it slips away. We're glad to be home though so I'm not complaining. Just praying and wondering.
I'm writing songs again too. It's been a few months since I've had time to tend to my new songs. I feel like a different guy since I got married and stuff. I guess that's to be expected. A lot of changes and I'm finding the songwriting process to be pretty mysterious. It only confuses and confounds me the more songs I write. How they happen, where they come from. Things aren't very defined for me in the process-- but you know for sure when a song has arrived or when it is finished. You can just tell. Then you play it for some friends and family just to make sure you aren't nuts.
The last time I was working through a batch of new songs I was single and renting a place and living with 2 other guys. Now I'm married, living with a woman in a house that we own with a dog and a cat. I own a lawnmower and rake the leaves. No big deal I know but it's these sort of things that tell you that you are in a new season, a new period.
Musically I am toying with some fusions of electronica stuff with strings and woodwinds but the focus is on songs so in the end you never know what might happen. Change is good.
Later.


<< Home