My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashvegas, United States

musician, singer & songwriter/recording artist (independent)

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Apple strikes again.

good morning....

I'm sitting here at my desk in Nashville at 7 am and I can't sleep. I've been fighting a cold since I got back from last weekend's shows. Bummer. DayQuil, Zinc, AirBorne, etc etc... fun.

It's so strange to be home without my wife. Kierstin is still in Houston and I'm going back there next monday. I'm only here for the day because tonight I go on to Chattanooga for the NACA southeastern conference with my friends Dave and JJ Heller. We'll be there meeting new people and making some new friends on college campuses throughout the southeast. It'll be cool and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

Other than trying to sleep, I've been reading "Total Truth" and watching the new Dylan DVD that Martin Scorscese directed.

It's been so interesting to read Pearcy's book and start to get a handle on what exactly a worldview is and how my own worldview has shaped and affected my life...and then to consider how the Gospel brings about a new worldview where God is redeeming whole cultures and not just individual people. So fascinating. I'm only on chapter 2 and already I've gotten so much out of it. I'll be reading this one for months to come b/c there is so much to digest here. It's a treasure trove though! Check it out.

The Dylan DVD is called "No Direction Home" and it is incredible. Truly it is. Much like Dylan's book "Chronicles, Vol. 1", Bob is disarmingly honest and forthright about his experiences throughout the 60's and seems to really let his guard down in a way that is pretty shocking if you are a Dylan fan. He's famous for avoiding the press and resisting answering questions...but here he is open and engaging. It's fantastic. Bob's main point throughout the entire documentary is that he was never trying to become some sort of musical maverick or cultural icon. He says, "I was just trying to be honest and make my music. I was just trying to find my way back home but I had no direction home, so I kept searching for God through the music because that was all that ever made any sense to me."

Reminds me of an interview I read with T-Bone Burnett (producer and guitarist) where he said, "Bob Dylan's music has always been about Bob Dylan's search for God."

And here's something interesting: Apple Computer funded the entire thing! All the more reason to love Apple if you ask me. Steve Jobs is a HUGE Dylan fan so... cheers, Steve!

Well, i'm off to fight my cold and get ready to leave for Chattanooga. God's Peace.