These days are packed with wonder and sadness.

Yesterday was a day full of wonder and sadness. Lately that is how it has been. We've been reaching the highest of highs and the lowest of lows in the same day around here--sometimes in the same hour.
Let me explain.
Kierstin's father John is sick with cancer and we have been making plans to go to Houston to spend time with him. We've been crying and talking and telling stories and I've been listening to my wife and have been trying to be a comfort. I think all one can really do in a time such as this is pray, cry, listen and then pray some more. It absolutely tears my heart out to see my wife cry. So then I end up crying. It's amazing to feel so connected to another person. Kierstin is truly my best friend and I love her so much.
Her father is a kind and loving man. I really love him too and I'm thankful for such a great father-in-law. He loves his daughter and has embraced me as a member of the family. He even lets me beat him at playing pool sometimes. He's great at pool, let me tell you! He is also a Vietnam Veteran and has an amazing sense of honor. I respect him greatly if you can't tell.
He lives in Houston with his wife June and we are headed down there next Monday. We figure Kierstin will stay there for a month or so and I'll visit off and on between shows this fall. It has been difficult but manageable and I can already see the God's hand in the midst of this. Please pray for John and all of us who love him--that the Lord would make Himself more beautiful and believable in the midst of this suffering.
In the immediate weight of sadness, what has impressed (or maybe I should say shocked) me the most is how life continues roaring on regardless of your circumstances. And by God's grace, much of life has been good here.
Kierstin and I are about to celebrate our one year anniversary, we both love the work God has given us to do, our friends Todd and Christie are about to have their little baby boy and so many other of our friends newborn children are growing so fast that its hard to believe it! You should see Zoe Weigel and Ella Osenga. It's incredible to see how much they've grown in so short a time.
Good things in the midst of despair. And there's more....
Yesterday I found myself taking some time to be thankful for God's many blessings in the past week. I had a phenomenal time up in Montana meeting some nice people there and seeing old friends. I drank some great beer and ate buffalo steaks after a long weekend of concerts and taking part in leading a two day retreat on christianity & the arts. I spent about two hours riding trails through the Beartooth Mountains on horseback-- some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. I also saw the Milky Way at night. The stars were out in full force. It had been a while since I'd seen the stars like that-- let alone the Milky Way. Words fail.
Some of my friends are starting a church plant in the poorest area of Billings, MT to try and impact that impoverished area with the Gospel. I spent some time with their worship team musicians and turned them onto Indelible Grace and the power of those old hymns. I was (again) reminded how much the hymns mean to me and how formative they have been in my own life these past few years. God is so good not to leave us as He finds us.
Since I got back on late Monday night, Kierstin and I went to dinner and caught up a bit. So good to be home. We went to Amerigo for some italian food. We ran into Paul and Talitha Moak. Hadn't seen them in a while so it was nice to catch up. Paul is a great musician and a sweet friend.
From there I started catching up on sleep. I took Tuesday to rest up from my travels last weekend. I've learned that I need to do this or I will burn out pretty quickly. Last Spring I was going 100 miles an hour and didn't take the time to rest. It just wears you out if you don't stop and catch your breath. Resting is a discipline I've been embracing this past year.
Anyways, Wednesday and Thursday were spent in the office finalizing even more details for shows in October and November. A lot of work there but that is a good thing! So I've been investing loads of time going over what feels like endless details and logistics for dates and times and flights and rental cars and emails and website updates... I've also been rehearsing older material I haven't played in years. Feels great to be so busy doing the work that God has given me to do.
Last night Kierstin had a "girls night" with some of her friends. Sort of a belated birthday celebration dinner kind of thing. I'm not a girl so I wasn't invited (ha) and found myself with nothing really going on. A night to myself. Whoa.
Keaggy and I had spoken earlier in the day and he invited me over for dinner with he and Bernadette. She made some amazing pasta and we drank chianti and talked about New Orleans. The Keaggy's have such a warm, loving home. Phil and I played a game of chess on the chess board that my brother Josh bought for me in Prague. (thanks Josh! I love it man!) We smoked pipes and drank coffee after dinner.
It was hard to concentrate on the chess game though because we were listening to the new Paul McCartney record which was produced by Nigel Godrich. (Radiohead's OK Computer album) It is a good record. Darker than most of his other solo stuff. He's clearly searching through his twilight years for some sort of meaning. It's compelling. And the musical arrangements are really top notch. At least to my ears. "Jenny Wren" and "Fine Line" are highlights.
Today is Friday and I am getting ready for our big one year anniversary this Sunday. Exciting! How fast a year has flown by! It's been the best year of my life and I would marry Kierstin 10 times over.
Beauty and goodness in varying degrees splattered all over our lives. Mystery too. It's like some sort of Buechner novel. Tears and sadness in the midst of John's sickness. Reminds me of a quote I read in a book I found at Bongo Java when I was in college. "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee....
"Christianity is pushing forward on the plough with one hand while wiping away your tears with the other."
Talk to you later.


<< Home