Monroe.
Yesterday I drove down to Monroe's house for some quality time. I've been working away in my little geek hole here at the house and really needed to get out. My wife and I have been fighting off colds since early last weekend...yuk. So we've been resting and drinking 7-UP and reading and watching the Mets in the playoffs. (Game 7 tonight! Come on Mets...)I love hanging out with Monroe...he's super cool and he absolutely loves his family and loves music...he's been a great source of advice and input over the three years I've known him. I really trust his instincts and I'm looking forward to the back half of recording these tracks because he is going to be producing them with me. Winds, strings and brass. Me, Monroe, Matt and Jim with all these classical players. I can't wait.
We sat in his studio and sipped some coffee talking through some production ideas on a few songs. I played him what we recorded in The Map Room last week. I was telling him about how I feel like I've lost a lot of objectivity on some of these songs because I'm working so close to them....which for me leads to an inevitable place of second-guessing and self-doubt and blah blah blah...not a good scene inside....all fog and no vision which is funny because so much of the record centers on separating the truth from lies. Anyway Monroe suggested that I try and rest in the gospel. He said perhaps that is the lesson I am supposed to learn as best I can before my son is born...
Simple enough suggestion, but it hit me hard. Thanks Monroe.
--side note: the photo above was taken at Zuma Beach three years ago in Los Angeles when we were recording with The Blind Boys of Alabama. Awesome.


<< Home