An update and current reading/listening.
An interesting week so far...Monday I worked in Reason programming things and learning about the different modules and how they function. Tiring but worth it. Tuesday was a bit of the same but in the afternoon I tweaked some lyrics and wrote a bridge that I need to put words to. Tuesday night played a new song at Radio Cafe with the Pegs. A lot of fun! Peters, Osenga, Mason, Cerveny and Peterson all played three songs each. Chris Mason's new song "New Sun" was the highlight for me. I'll be playing next Tuesday as well and it looks like we are going to continue through October with these shows...so come on out!Stayed out really late after the Radio gig with Cason, Billy, Osenga, Matthew Perryman, Matthew Smith, Ian Fitchuk, Chris Weigel, Paul Moak and everybody's respective wives drinking beers at The Red Door in East Nashville. We were celebrating Cason and Katie's engagement which is simply awesome and a long time coming. So happy for them!
Cerveny was in rare form and was making me laugh so hard that my sides hurt. I ended up chatting with Osenga and Moak for about an hour talking about gear and recording. Osenga told me that learning how to work your gear is just part of making a record and that I shouldn't be too hard on myself for not working on actual songs this week since it's all part of the process anyways. I worry too much. I asked Moak about midi and he told me that it's a whole different language to learn...just takes time. He said he tells people he speaks two languages: english and midi....I thought that was really funny!
Wednesday I worked on songs and then in the afternoon went over to Scott's to iron out some lyrics we've been working on. It's coming along but I'm just not as literal of a writer as he is so we are playing tug of war on a few lines. The music feels wonderful though.
Today I'll be hooking up with Osenga for an hour so he can show me how to work his compressor and give me some tips on recording vocals. He rules. Such a nice guy and a great friend. Looking forward to the time with him. I may try and talk him into going over to Guitar Center with me to buy some cables I need.
After that it's songs again. I'm enjoying the process a lot and it amazes me how everyday is creatively unpredictable and how pieces of music and lyrics show up in the weirdest places at the most random of times. I'm up to my neck in this record and couldn't do it without the love and support of my wife and friends. I'm very thankful....
Current listening:
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
Tracy Chapman - self titled
Paul Simon - Surprise
T-Bone Burnett - The True False Identity
Daniel Tashian - The Lovetest
Current reading:
Common Sense 101: Lessons from GK Chesterton - Dale Alquist


<< Home