My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashvegas, United States

musician, singer & songwriter/recording artist (independent)

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Songwriting.






Today I went to lunch with my wife and bought a new pair of running shoes. New Balance. 30 bucks. Not bad. I've been working out more since I've been home more this winter which is something I am glad about. We were gone for a few hours and my mind was pre-occupied with thoughts about the songs I've been working on. Melodies and lyrics flying all over the place.

Last night Kierstin and I were talking about some of the themes that are emerging and how they inform the larger picture of the album as a whole...so today I've been processing some of that... and then all sorts of emotions show up...doubt, disillusionment, confidence, faith, despair and then a showing of faith again...such a strange process.

I have a weird relationship with songwriting. It's more of a casual dating type of thing that gets really serious when I'm working on a record but seems to ease up while I'm busy touring. It's never a formula and always an emotion or an idea that sets me off. Guilty as charged. I'm an emotive writer. Can't write a story song to save my life. At least as I can tell. I paint pictures. The minute I try and force something it reeks of pretense. There's a lot of wrestling involved. Not sure if I am making sense here.

After dinner tonight I got to work in the map room...nothing much was coming out of me until around 10:30. That's when things really started to click and everything started flowing. Ah, lovely nighttime....progress...the boat is moving...less distraction and things are a bit more calm. It's after midnight and I'm off to bed.