My Photo
Name:
Location: Nashvegas, United States

musician, singer & songwriter/recording artist (independent)

Saturday, May 19, 2007

my dream somewhere in kentucky in some magical little town.

i had a dream recently that has stuck with me for a couple weeks now. it went something like this:

i left nashville in my subaru and drove north to a town i can't remember the name of but I do remember that it was in kentucky somewhere. i was driving up there to meet up with my friend brannon mcallister. brannon had invited me to visit portland studios and its environs which ended up being this really magical sort of town.

i remember brannon showing me around...i parked my car and everywhere we went we went on foot. There were no skyscrapers and there were lots of trees and green grass with brick streets and sidewalks. sort of like a cross between montmarte in paris and the squares in savannah, georgia except (as previously stated) i was in kentucky.

it was nice outside, like a crisp Fall day and i started to get hungry so we went to track down something to eat but i didn't have the right kind of money so brannon took me over to the town bank where i exchanged my US dollars for some of the town's special money.

sidenote: there were no machines in the bank -- everything was done by people keeping track of transactions in beautifully bound ledgers. no ATM's. no computers.

next we went and got some food. I can't remember what we ate but i do remember that as we were leaving the little cafe i noticed a diverse looking group of older men gathered around and talking to one another on some park benches. They were debating the original intentions of the framers when they wrote the US constitution and how religion and government should be separate. It was an intense conversation amongst these old men.

And then hovering around the back of the crowd, I noticed a rotund, portly man wearing a cape and pince-nez eyeglass and leaning on a walking stick. I recognized the look of the man because it is exactly how GK Chesterton dressed. (I have his autobiography and it has various pictures of him)

Anyway, i realized that this surely wasn't the REAL GK Chesterton, that it was an impersonator. Never the less, he chimed into the government and religion conversation and spoke with great authority and was very articulate. He argued what Chesterton would have argued were he actually there for real.

i had this feeling that i was in a magical place and couldn't exactly remember how i got there or where i really was.

But i knew i was in kentucky somewhere.

Dreams are so cool. One time I had a dream that was entirely in claymation...like Gumby & Pokey. I remember there was a bridge over the ocean and I jumped into the water and the splash was little blue pieces of clay rolled up to look like drops of water.

Then there was another cool dream that I had entirely in cartoon. Like a superman comic. I remember because my dad was superman and he flew in to save me from some bad thing i can't recall. But i do remember the lights going by really fast as we flew through the air.

ok that about covers it. I know this was a random post but such is life.

peace.